Thursday, January 20, 2011

Parsnips Anyone? - May 20, 2010

Dear Friends of Roscoe Chiropractic,

A parsnip is a carrot-like vegetable that has a sweeter, more tangy flavor than the carrot. I only know this because two weeks ago I helped plant a garden and I think this fall there are going to be about 709 parsnips to harvest after the first frost. Let me know if you want some.

After all that tilling and planting and weeding I did a couple weeks ago, I woke up the next day feeling like I'd done a really intense exercise routine. It surprised me because it was such low intensity activity. Well, for those of you who enjoy planting and maintaining a garden this is good news. It's difficult to keep up a proper exercise routine, I know that as well as the next person, but if you choose an activity that is enjoyable it won't feel like exercise and you're more inclined to stick with it.

One study found that low-intensity activities like gardening can help prevent cardiovascular disease and extend an individual's life-span!  These activities also just help boost your level of wellness and make you happier.

Aside from those benefits gardening has it's obvious perks, such as improving your diet with the addition of fresh fruits and vegetables. In general homegrown fruits and vegetables are more nutrient-dense than store bought items.

Gardening affords a lot of health benefits but it's also a great way to bring your family together for a fun, healthy activity you can all take part in.

I hope everyone is enjoying this cold, rainy week, it might be the last we see of it for a few months!

Take care,

Karla H.
Roscoe Chiropractic

No comments:

Post a Comment