Thursday, January 20, 2011

How Running Late can Affect Your Potassium Levels... - April 29, 2010

Dear Friends of Roscoe Chiropractic

Stay with me and I'll explain. :) This morning I was running ever so slightly behind and I left home without eating breakfast. About half-way to work I decided I couldn't wait until lunch to eat so I began the search for somewhere quick I could stop and grab something. Well, of course my choices consisted of McDonalds, Wendys, and a couple convenience stores.  I won't divulge my breakfast choice but I will clarify how this has any bearing on my potassium levels.

In the not so distant past the human diet contained plenty of potassium but as our diets have changed to contain more and more processed foods and fewer fresh foods like fruits and veggies the potassium intake has dropped and the sodium intake has risen.

Potassium occurs naturally in a wide variety of foods so it is very unlikely that anyone would suffer from a severe deficiency but there is concern about the lack of potassium rich foods in the average diet. Potassium is an element (and electrolyte) that is essential for the body's growth and maintenance. It helps to ensure a normal water balance between the cells and body fluids. It also helps with the nerves response to stimulation and the contraction of muscles.

One study showed that an increase in potassium intake showed a positive effect on the lowering of blood pressure, decrease in the risk of kidney stones and osteoporosis, as well as the slowing in the progress of renal disease. The best part of this is that the easiest and fastest way to increase your potassium is to eat more fruits and vegetables.

Here are some good foods to eat (beside bananas) to help increase your potassium intake: spinach, baked winter squash, broccoli, celery, molasses, tomato, raisins, carrots, papaya, avocado and beans. To get the most out of your produce, raw is best or cooking it as little as possible. 

Happy Spring everyone and hope to see you all in the office soon.

Take care!
Karla H
Roscoe Chiropractic

No comments:

Post a Comment