Thursday, June 23, 2011

TV and Depression - May 26 2011

I found an interesting article on how TV can affect depression levels in children and teenagers. It is directly related to the number of hours spent watching TV daily. The study showed that it was TV specifically not just media in general. So while it's important to limit media exposure including video games, internet, movies and TV altogether it was the TV watching that seemed to be most tied in with the depression.

Now the article didn't specify any research or thoughts on why this is but I'll share some of my opinions. Think about what the purpose of TV is, most use it as some form of escape from their life. Well if life was good then why escape from it for one. Two, depending upon what is being watched many shows portray a false reality (especially it seems, the "reality" shows). Everyone is beautiful, everyone has everything they want, it often glorifies bad situations to seem glamorous. Then this child has to wake up and go to the same school with the same clothes they had in their closet the day before and the same people. While these things shouldn't be bad, the constant barrage of "You need more, You have to have this to be happy, You aren't this smart or this pretty", will wear anyone down after awhile.

I don't think TV is bad, fullstop, but I do believe most of what is on is pretty worthless. I believe if TV is a staple in a family then it could be tempered with genuine interaction and loving situations and words from adults then perhaps depression wouldn't have an opportunity to get in. If a child knows the truth about themselves and understands that TV doesn't show reality it would probably be less interesting to them anyway!

I'm curious your thoughts on this as well, since this was mostly all my opinion anyway! I encourage you to write me back and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment